Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
Quantity:
Subtotal
Taxes
Shipping
Total
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

our website

Our website is under construction but please feel free to read on........

WELCOME TO

HOPTROFF & LEE

ANTIQUES IN THE ALLEY!


Learn More


OPENING HOURS


WEDNESDAY TO SATURDAY

10 am to 4.00 pm


GET REGULAR UPDATES HERE 

AND BY FOLLOWING US ON:

 FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, GOOGLE:

CLICK ON THE SYMBOLS AT THE FOOT OF THE PAGE


TO SHOP ONLINE WITH US: CLICK HERE

FOR NEW STOCK THIS MONTH: CLICK HERE

FOR EVENTS THIS AUTUMN & CHRISTMAS: CLICK HERE


SCROLL DOWN FOR ACCESSIBILITY INFORMATION


WHAT'S ON RIGHT NOW AT HOPTROFF & LEE?

Autumn Antics in the Alley!

It's September, so start the new season with a theme which embraces the traditional and the quirky! All of our items, inside and out, are for sale, you are welcome to browse!

SEPTEMBER 1st - 24th. 

We're also featuring "Vintage Eye", a new line in original vintage, from September 15th.

Click this link for more details

....AND WHAT'S UP NEXT?

GOOD NEWS!

WE ARE OPENING OUR SECOND SHOP!

PLEASE CLICK ON THIS LINK FOR MORE DETAILS 

new shop

PLANNING A VISIT TO STAMFORD?

  

GET THE LATEST INFORMATION ON

BEST DAYS TO VISIT, CAR PARKING, DIRECTIONS, and ANTIQUE STAMFORD

ON OUR STAMFORD PAGE (CLICK THE LINK)

or go to our additional website:

www.antiquestamford.co.uk

THE FOLLOWING PAGES ARE UNDER CONSTRUCTION




Harold Malcolm Watts Sargent, world famous musician, composer and conductor, was born in 1895 in Kent while his mother was visiting family members. The family home was in Wharf Road, Stamford,

the house bearing a ***blue plaque***.

A Stamford School Scholarship winner, his earliest interests were in amateur music events, greatly encouraged by his father. Malcolm was a talented pianist and organist and conducted at the Proms and the Royal Choral Society. He was a hard task master and was quite outspoken, alienating many British Orchestra members with his views. He died in 1967 at the age of 72 after a serious illness and is buried in Stamford Cemetery.

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

September 29th, 1930, saw the birth, in Stamford, of novelist Colin Dexter, who went on to attend Stamford Boys School. Although he was a prolific writer, Colin is best known for his "Inspector Morse" books which were written from 1975 onwards. The stories were made into a drama series featuring many episodes which were, and still are, widely televised. Colin was also famous for his Hitchcockian appearance in each episode of "Inspector Morse" and in the spin-off series " Lewis".

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

Commonly known by his grisly title, John George Haigh was born in Kings Road, Stamford on July 24th 1909, although the family moved to Yorkshire when Haigh was around 4 years old.

Haigh murdered a total of 6 people before forging their papers to collect large amounts of money. He had previously been imprisoned for fraud where it is said he learned about sulphuric acid as an agent for dissolving bodies, knowledge that he would use in his later crimes. The use of acid was his undoing as the chemical did not dissolve everything, and he was subsequently betrayed by the remnants of body parts including gallstones. He was hanged in 1949.

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

Cupid's Inspiration were a famous pop music group at their height during the 1960s. The band was formed in Stamford and the original line-up of Stamford-residing members included: Terry Rice-Milton, James Laughton, Garfield Tonkin, George Wyndham and Roger Gray. Additional group members were present at this time.

Originally known as The Ends, the group renamed themselves and had two Top 40 hits in the singles chart in 1968:

"Yesterday is Gone"(no.4) and "My world" (no.33).

The group began to part company in 1970 with individuals joining other music greats like King Crimson. Since the split Cupid's Inspiration has had a long line of band members, with the band still touring but under two different names.

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

William Stukeley was a doctor, archaeologist, antiquarian and author. He was born in Lincolnshire in 1687, residing in Stamford between 1729 and 1747 at No.9 Barn Hill which exhibits a ***blue plaque*** in his name. During this time he was vicar of All Saints Church. He had not previously added the clergy to his other professions but being a close friend of the Archbishop of Canterbury he was able to fast-track his theological training to take up the post.

As an archaeologist earlier in his life Stukeley had a passion for stone circles such as Stone Henge and Avebury, and a particular interest in Druidism. A prolific writer, he published several academic papers on a variety of subjects including his field work, and studies in his former medical career. In Stamford he became interested in the local architecture and designed and built in the town, including elaborate extensions to his own property and eccentric additions to his garden. He was described as being gregarious, cheerful and amiable, although eccentric and at times ridiculed for his views. He had a passion for animals and owned a cat called "Tit".

He died in London in 1765.

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

Daniel Lambert was not originally a Stamford man, hailing from Leicester where he was an animal breeder and keeper of Bridewell gaol. It was while he was staying at The Waggon and Horses Inn in

High Street St. Martins, Stamford, in June 1809, he became ill and suddenly died. He was buried in St. Martin's churchyard, Stamford.

So what lead to his untimely death at the age of 39, and why wasn't his body returned home to his native Leicester?

Mr. Lambert was already famous for his unusually large size, later earning him the title of England's largest man. He weighed in at

52 stones and 11 pounds at the time of his death. But Daniel was no ordinary obesity case. Not only did he refrain from eating and drinking excessively, he had led an active early life and, worrying about his increasing size and risk to his health, continued to exercise regularly, often appearing fitter than his average middle-aged counterparts. The circumference of his calves was said to be in excess of 3 feet and his waist 9 feet. With his height of 5 feet 9 ins he must have been quite a sight to behold! In fact, in order to make a living, he put himself up for exhibition and it was fashionable to visit him "at home" for a small payment, and to become his friend. This was the reason for his Stamford visit in that fateful year.

In 1809, transport would not have allowed for the 112 square feet of coffin to transport Daniel home to Leicester. It took 20 men to aid the wheeled coffin down the specially-prepared sloping approach to

Mr. Lambert's grave.

Daniel Lambert had special furniture and a carriage made to take his bulk, and artefacts can be seen at The George Hotel, Stamford,

and in Leicester Museum.

Daniel Lambert is now immortalised in a **blue plaque** erected in September 2019 on the wall of the building in St. Martin's where he died.

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

This fascist British Politician lived and worked in Stamford after the First World War until his retirement in 1927. Leese published many works reflecting his racist and anti-semitic obsessions. He formed his own Imperial fascist league, influencing the British National Party of today. Having worked in India as a qualified Veterinary Surgeon, he became an expert on the camel, publishing articles on the conditions affecting the dromedary, and discovered a nematode of the eye which today bears his name.

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

Harry was born in Burghley Lane, 

St. Martin's, Stamford in 1879 and later grew up in Church Lane. He was one of 11 children. He became a protege of Hobart Cust, heir to the Belton estate in Grantham, although how they met is unclear, Harry later acting as Cust's personal secretary. Whilst in Italy with his employer it is thought that Harry worked on his talent for photography and by 1914 had secured a position in Cairo working with the New York Metropolitan Egyptian Expedition. So when Howard Carter came to excavate the Valley of The Kings and took on Harry Burton as photographer he was well on the way to stardom! His images of Tutankhamun's tomb are what he is best remembered for. Harry died in Egypt aged 59 years.

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

Richard Turpin (?1705-1739) was a butcher, thief, poacher, torturer and murderer. Hailing from Essex, he used parts of the Great North Road between London and York as his hunting ground. He is said to have frequented The Ram Jam Inn, a (now disused) public house on the A1 outside of Stamford. There are numerous stories about how the Inn got its name, including a prank played by Turpin involving the landlord ramming his thumbs into holes in a damaged beer barrel to jam the flow of ale whilst Turpin escaped without paying his ale bill!

He was hanged in York for horse theft aged 33 years and it is only posthumously that Dick Turpin (in the saddle of Black Bess) has become the romantic Highwayman figure of books and films.

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

William Cecil, later Lord Burghley (1520-1598), was chief adviser to Queen Elizabeth 1, Lord High Treasurer, Lord Privy Seal and twice Secretary of State. He built Burghley House in Stamford between 1555 and 1587, a leading example of fine Elizabethan architecture and subsequently the residence of his descendants, the Marquesses of Exeter. The house is built in the form of a capital "E" in honour of the Queen who never actually visited.

Lord Burghley's death in 1598 was sudden, following a collapse, and he is buried in an elaborate tomb with effigy within St. Martin's church.

Through the years, the existence of Burghley House has meant that many famous visitors would pass through its doors including Queen Victoria, members of the present Royal Family, and the various artists responsible for the creation of the house and gardens including Capability Brown, Antonio Verrio and Grinling Gibbons.

Burghley Park is home to the world famous Burghley Horse Trials, and has been the location of numerous TV and cinema films.

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

The Stamford Theatre was built in 1768 and was used as such for more than 100 years seeing many famous actors tread its boards. William Charles Macready (1793-1873) made his first appearance in Covent Garden, adding numerous Shakespearean roles to his repertoire. He acted in many famous English theatres as did Edmund Kean (1787-1833) also famous for his Shakespearean characters. Edmund's son Charles Kean (1811-1868) followed in his father's footsteps, often performing with his wife Ellen at the Stamford Theatre.

Charles was mentor to the actress Ellen Terry (1847 -1928).

John Philip Kemble (1757-1823) brother of the famous Sarah Siddons, immortalised by Gainsborough, also achieved acting fame and visited the Stamford Theatre. He mainly undertook Shakespearean roles, working alongside his sister in Drury Lane and Covent Garden. The Irish actor, poet and playwright, James Sheridan Knowles (1784-1862) also performed in Stamford. Sheridan Knowles was also a qualified medical doctor and Baptist preacher.

There is an original 1920s plaque on this building outlining the above.

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

Boudica (or Boadicea) was Queen of the British Iceni tribe of East Anglia, c. AD 60 or 61. When her reigning husband died she led an army in a fruitless attempt to defeat the occupying forces of the Roman Empire and was known to cross the River Welland at Stamford hotly pursued by the Ninth Roman Legion. She is said to have died from her wounds although there are no details of the cause of her demise. A stone pillar and plaque now commemorate the crossing which is in the third meadow close to where the A1 road now crosses.

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

Wife of King Edward 1, Queen Eleanor (of Castile) (1241-1290) died in Harby, Lincolnshire, her body being carried on foot to Westminster for burial. Along the journey, which included passing through Stamford, her devoted husband had 12 decorative stone crosses erected, one at each of the overnight resting places of Eleanor's coffin. Three of these remain mostly intact: Waltham in Hertfordshire, and Hardingstone and Geddington in Northamptonshire. Only a small fragment of the Stamford cross remains and was excavated by William Stukeley (see above). The site of the cross was in Sheepmarket and the fragment can be viewed in Stamford library. The Sheepmarket area now has a modern statue in commemoration. 

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

Joan of Kent (1328-1385), mother of King Richard 11 (2nd) of England, is buried in Stamford. Edward the Black Prince and father to Richard 11 (2nd) was Joan's third marriage alliance. She had 5 children with her late first husband Thomas Holland and through this line her descendants included Lady Margaret Beaufort (mother to King Henry 7th), Elizabeth of York and Catherine Parr.

Upon her death, she was buried beside her first husband at her own request at Greyfriars, the present hospital site in Ryhall road, although no grave marking exists.

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

King Charles the First, escaping capture by the Parliamentarian New Model Army and seeking refuge with the Scottish army, travelled for 7 days through enemy territory from Oxford to reach his protectors in Southwell, near Newark. He spent the night of the 3rd May 1646 in Stamford, although there is some confusion as to the exact building in which he stayed. The king spent his last night as a free man in Stamford, being betrayed later by the very army recommended to protect him.

Edit button text

Page title

Page subtitle

Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey is a fictional sleuth and peer of the realm in the books of Dorothy L. Sayers. Acting as a mouthpiece for Dorothy who undoubtedly visited the town of Stamford, Lord Peter, whose faithful butler and confidante, Bunter, expresses an inclination to visit Stamford "for a variety of reasons", "purred away through the picturesque streets of Stamford to the cottage by the bridge". He added that "(he) had always thought Stamford a beautiful town and now, with its grey stone houses and oriel windows bathed in the afternoon sunshine, it seemed to him the loveliest jewel in the English crown".

"Have His Carcase", Chapter 8.

Edit button text

COVID-19


We are encouraging the use of masks in our shop.

We appreciate that the laws and guidelines around Covid-19 have changed. The Government still recommends the wearing of face masks in smaller spaces where you may be mixing with persons you do not know. 


We are continuing to wear face masks at 

Hoptroff & Lee to reduce the risk of infection and avoid disruption to our business. We kindly ask that you do the same to protect us at a time when Covid infections are still prevalent.


Thank you for your co-operation.

At Hoptroff & Lee

EVERYONE IS WELCOME!


We are proud to be:


Wheelchair welcoming

Scooter accepting

Small Dog allowing

Pushchair permitting

Well Behaved Child supporting

Shopping/Bouquet parking

Umbrella compliant

Shopping Trolley friendly

Information/direction giving


*We have some covid-19 rules and are encouraging visitors to wear masks and sanitise their hands before entering our premises.



DROP IN AT THE SHOP!

4 Cheyne Lane, Stamford

A little lane just off the main High Street

directly opposite "Seasalt"

CALL/TEXT US!

01780 767447 

(during opening hours)

or 07908052337

EMAIL US!

HOPTROFF & LEE ARE PROUD TO SUPPORT THE #SHOPSTAMFORD CAMPAIGN

HELPING INDEPENDENT SMALL BUSINESSES LIKES OURS TO THRIVE!

SHOP STAMFORD TODAY!

Find #shopstamford on Facebook and Twitter

0